Saturday, September 24, 2016

Situated Cognition


Greetings all and welcome back to my blog!


Today in our class we discussed situated cognition. Learning and thinking within the context of the authentic situation. Students learn best when tools, activity and culture combine. Tools can be more than just literal tools, they can also be concepts. I thought of two examples in my music class. If I want students to learn how to play the drums, it's best if I give them the opportunity to play and learn through their experience. Standing up front and explaining and demonstrating are not enough and will not give a student the full knowledge of how to play. Tools can also be concepts. The concept of dynamics is an important part of music production. Rather than just showing a flashcard with the symbol "p" and telling students it stands for piano, which means soft, they would be better served by singing a song piano and then later forte (loud) to learn the contrast. They are learning through the activity of the discipline. I am not teaching music, I am teaching musicians.

Enculturation is an important part of the learning process, as well. In my music class the other day, we discussed the reasons why people make music. Most of the answers were reminiscent of " it's beautiful" and "it makes life less boring". But there were also students that I knew had never thought of this question before. Relating the context of the culture of the music world, I asked my students to name some music professions. The list varied but mostly revolved around singing and performing. I let them know that my father in law is a music producer and my goal is to have them interview him soon via Skype. By seeing how music exists in the real world, my students can see the culture of music and be inspired to either make it a career someday or play or sing for fun and add to the beauty of our world.

We also learned about SPD- Structure, Process, and Discourse…. Structures are the nouns that we want students to know...In my case, terms like dynamics, tempo, rhythm, etc....
Process is the steps you take to achieve a certain end. For my older students, I would love for them to compose a piece of music. And the discourse is the way that it's communicated. So, a wonderful lesson in music class could involve learning the basic structures of a music theory, creating and composing a piece of music and then performing that piece for the class.

In addition, students need their ABCs... :)

ABCS-
Authentic Activities
This is what real people do- not school behavior. Again, this goes back to the potential Skype session wiht my father in law. We also have a cousin works internationally as a music producer, a friend who is a music therapist, and the list goes on... possibilities to make real world connections are endless.

Background Building Activities
A vocabulary list can be a part of it but not all of it. The definition of piano as "soft" can't be skipped in order to fully understand music dynamics but it shouldn't be where I end.

Constructing Activities- the teacher coaches but gets out of the way a little bit and puts it together. This is probably going to be my biggest area of growth. I have a hard time knowing when to intervene and when to get out of the way. But I'm getting there.

Sharing Activities- with an authentic audience… Priscilla gave the example of a weatherman visiting... I love the idea of having a professional musician come for a visit. Or having the kids perform for an audience.

And lastly,
AeCTS
A- Authentic Context- Create an authentic context. Think of a real situation that would require a solution. Hmm, still need to ponder this one more for music class but I have a few ideas in the works.. just don't know how authentic they are.

E- exit experience-  if you introduce an authentic problem, you better have an exit strategy- (ie. Skype)   

C- Clear outcome... what are we trying to accomplish? This is a very important part of the process so students maintain focus.

T-Thinking Skills- stop and think about what thinking is required.  Excellent listening skills are one of the many thinking skills required in music.

S- Software skills- think about what tools you have to scaffold... computer software for putting your music together.

I'm excited about all of the many possibilities that are in front of me and my students this year. In summary,

"Good learning designs recognize concepts as tools, situate those concepts in the context of their use reflecting authentic activity, conceptual tool, and culture, and analyze content for generalizable knowledge." This is the Third Design Principle: The Knowledge Principle.

I can't wait to see what next week brings and to start incorporating these ideas in my music classroom!





6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment and compliment, Kim! When I taught video production, I felt it was easier to give kids assignments that aligned with authentic problems. One particular example was our Super Bowl commercial project. When the Super Bowl is broadcast overseas in American military communities, it appears on AFN, a TV an American TV network. Because of international copyright laws, AFN cannot broadcast the popular Super Bowl commercials that Americans get in the States. Americans overseas get the game, but no fun commercials. AFN usually runs its own commercials instead, the typical stuff that’s relevant to the base community. A few years in a row, however, AFN decided to take submissions. Students could make their own commercials and the best ones would play during the Super Bowl. My kids wrote and produced their own Super Bowl commercials, and a few got played on TV during the game! How’s that for an authentic audience? I was so proud of them for their hard work, and so thrilled that it paid off.

    It’s great that your students are getting to see music as an authentic activity with real world significance. By approaching it this way you’re simultaneously enriching your students’ lives and hopefully killing off a bit of the “when and I ever going to use this?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! I'm glad you talked about having your students write their own music - this is the perfect way to incorporate one of those "open-ended projects" that we keep discussing. Give simple guidelines (four bars, only use quarter and eighth notes, etc) and see what they can do. I'm sure they will be surprised at 1) the freedom you are giving them and 2) that it's not so crazy for them to be composers too. Most kiddos think that being a professional musician is out of reach, but discussing the different musical career options makes things attainable and useful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I like that you're opening their eyes to more than just 'performers' in the music industry, so many more people are involved not just the singer on stage. Love how you're thinking on incorporating the whole culture of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Playing an Instrument Benefits Your Brain:
    https://youtu.be/R0JKCYZ8hng

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I love reading your blogs. They are full of specific examples of the important concepts from our readings and this helps me understand them even more. I am excited for your students and all of the wonderful learning experiences that they will have this year in their music class because of your careful design. I have two tech-savvy music teachers at my school that would be open to a Skyle session if you need an authentic audience for your older students to share their music compositions. Or I can do it with one of my upper grade classes in the library. Mr. Stine usually has an after-school enrichment class that he runs in the fall, winter and spring and he taught drums, guitar, and keyboards. He also does a grade-wide musical performance for every grade and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Kim, let's definitely talk more in class!

    ReplyDelete