Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Net Smart


This week's post is on an important and insightful book entitled NetSmart - How to Thrive Online by Howard Rheingold.   In this book, Rheingold speaks of the importance of training your attention and the power of participation.

Training our attention 
Can we really train our attention?  Is it possible to listen to truly multitask  or are we only half listening?    

I have to admit that I've scrolled through Facebook while talking to my Mom on the phone.  It's difficult to give my full attention sometimes, when distractions abound.

The performance art group, Blue Man Group, sing a song called Your Attention.  In this song, there are three simultaneous voices speaking different lyrics and asking you to pay attention.   Take a 4 minute break and have a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq_YfCdf2ik


Rheingold asserts that we can experience benefits by practicing mindfulness online.  

Another chapter that grabbed my attention (see what I did there?)  was the topic of the 
power of participation.  Coincidentally, I led my church's youth group on Sunday on this very topic.  We discussed the trouble formula... Privacy + Loneliness + Social Media = Trouble.   To counteract that, we also discussed the Triumph formula... Pre-decide+Pre-Invite+ Plan A Way out + Triumph.    If we use social media passively and in isolation, we can get into trouble.  In addition, deciding ahead of time and inviting people in to your online world can lead to triumph.

I doubt any of us woke up this morning, deciding ahead of time what we would pay attention to and who we would interact with online.  But, according to Rheingold, just making baby steps towards a more mindful presence online can help us to be better digital citizens.






 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! I loved the segments on attention too. It's like those silly t-shirts that say, "Now you are aware of every breath you take." Once you focus on something it's hard to not control it. Once you focus on your breathing you wonder if it's always like that or if you are now taking control - it's weird.

    I feel like most of the time we are aware of what our attention is on, but this would link up with the Information Diet test of how much time is actually spent doing certain tasks, and how much is daydreaming or the 'let me just check Facebook real quick' that turns into 20 minutes of being unproductive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely entertained your questions regarding attention a great deal lately. Working as an educator means that you deal with multitasking all day long. Are we truly able to be effective as we switch tasks? I know I make conscious decisions and intentions when I know that I need to do something that will require concentration or careful attention (like doing this blog). I plan out when I will work on something, and also try to minimize distractions like having the television off, not having my phone or iPad around to be interrupted or distracted, and giving myself breaks for movement. It takes a lot of energy and practice, and it is something I find easier to do when it does not involve the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim! I hope you had a good holiday and enjoyed some time off. Can you tell me more about this "triumph formula" you mentioned? This sounds interesting. Where is it from? Who created it? I don't think anybody wakes up and decides specifically what kinds of information and what media they will take in, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Part of the problem is that our public spaces have been hijacked by advertising! In some cases we have no choice about what messages we are bombarded with. While I was living in Germany, one interesting thing I noticed is that there are no billboards posted along interstate highways. They are distracting and add nothing to the beauty of the landscape. There are far fewer places Americans can go to avoid media messages. It seems like just about every surface of our cities and communities is monetized and ad-covered. Where can we go to escape it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Zack, the Triumph formula is part of a youth series that my church uses. I can email you the document if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Zack mentioned the 'triumph formula' - I looked back over the book thinking I missed something somewhere! Please include me on that email! So true, we often give little thought to what we pay most attention to... and then to keep that attention focused on a singular thing for more than a few minutes takes a lot, but with Rheingold's suggestions there are things we can do that will help!

    ReplyDelete