Thursday, October 13, 2016

Affordancce Analysis

Greetings All!  It finally feels like Fall!

This week in class we learned about affordance analysis.  This is when the attributes of technology and the learning goals of the activity meet.  Affordance analysis is all about utility and not usability.  The term utility refers to how we can use something, the possibilities and the constraints.  Usability is how well it does it.   I learned that we should not start thinking in terms of the technology first to see how it fits in with our learning goals but start with the learning goals and then see if the technology will help meet those goals and objectives.

I wrote an affordance analysis of you tube and tied in the learning goals of matching the steady beat and identifying instruments.  I realize now that I should've started with one of those learning goals first and then analyzed you tube within that context.  This assignment was meaningful and impactful, as it helped me to evaluate the utility of you tube.  One of the things I've used to help teach steady beat is a video called Steady Beat Pete.  This video requires students to match the drummer and keep a steady beat.  Another you tube video I like is one on identifying instruments.  There are instruments playing behind a curtain and students have to guess which one it is.  Both of those videos really enhance the lesson , but I'm also mindful of becoming passive or lazy as a teacher, as a result of overusing it.   As with all forms of technology, you never want to rely on just one tool to try to meet all of your needs.

I feel like teachers can either be one of those

"Wow!  this is the latest and greatest technology and as a result, I have to use it whether it makes sense or not! "  or

"Kids use too much technology as it is and i'm just going to do things the same way I've always done them."  

I think affordance analysis is another great tool to help us focus our use of technology and see if it will actually be the best tool to help meet the learning objective.

I leave you with a poem....

Affordance is how technology can help you meet your goal.
To see if it's utility and characteristics are a good fit.
Analyzing the possibilities and constraints are better than any poll.
Although it will take some getting used to, I must admit.

Happy Learning Fellow Scholars!



5 comments:

  1. Love the poem! I agree, it's hard to not see the latest and greatest technology and think how can I use that, and instead set your learning goal first and use the affordance analysis to see which technology best suits your learning goal's needs. It's a different way of thinking for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! I'm glad you made a point to talk about usability vs utility.It's kind of like designing our real-world problems. We have to think about the end goal first, and then go back and figure the rest out. Great poem too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As with all forms of technology, you never want to rely on just one tool to try to meet all of your needs." I like this statement. It is a good reminder to all teachers not to get complacent and stay in one's comfort zone. More than keeping up with the latest technology, and trying out the newest, coolest gadget, app, game, etc., we must remain mindful of what our learning goal is. What is it that the students should know? How can they best demonstrate that knowledge? Then ask, "What technology should be used by students to best meet the learning goal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I'm not the best poet and I know it. :) Just thought i'd copy one of our exercises in class to help me better understand it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love that you wrote a poem in this week's reflection. Well done! I love your description of the two teacher's approaches to technology. I've definitely met both types in my travels. I've always tried to reach out to the Luddite teachers who resisted using any technology at all just because "my way is the way we've always done it". Isn't amazing how inflexible adults can be? Now I know that the opposite can be detrimental, too! A cart full of brand new laptops doesn't do anyone any good if it gathers dust! You're reaching all the right conclusions, Kim!

    ReplyDelete