Friday, October 28, 2016

Information Diet

Information Diet

After finishing the book, The Information Diet, I put a lot of thought into my information consumption.   Regarding social media, my information consumption ebbs and flows depending on my available time. Although I can tend to overdo Facebook on weekends or holidays, I believe that it takes a back seat to educational websites and the all consuming Pinterest.  I think it’s difficult to be self aware because it definitely feels like I’m working while perusing websites, but in the end, my productivity could be higher.  The first step in managing the information that is coming at us all is to be self aware.


I also appreciated the author’s points of being knowledgeable about our sources. This is an area that I felt was a strength for me, but when faced with the idea of seeking out sources that reaffirm your beliefs, I had to admit that is a pitfall.  As a former history teacher, I taught students how to analyze primary and secondary sources.  We also looked and determined the bias in every document.  As wise stewards of our time, we need to determine the validity of the websites and information we are consuming, while also looking for the bias.  

My goal is to set a schedule for information consumption.   In class, we created a “Digital Wonder Friends necklace” with gadgets to help students be smart information consumers.  One of our items was Chrissy the CAT,  Consumption Awareness Timer.   At home, I set a timer that I can use to be aware of my time on Facebook or other mindless browsing, but I don’t have a set schedule for the day.  All of these efforts will improve my digital literacy and in turn, I will be able to pass these skills to my students.  To be productive and responsible civic citizens, we need to be aware of content farming, churnalism and media mining.  The internet, TV, newspaper and other media are amazing resources, but full of land mines if we aren’t careful consumers.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! All of those dopamine-producing apps and websites are great for catching up with friends and finding great Halloween decorating ideas, but as you say, Kim, all come with potential pitfalls. I think you definitely have an advantage, having taught units on evaluating sources of information. I think a lot of people think of these eval skills as useful in a research context, but don't see how they apply to everyday content consumption! I have come to understand that I myself am very easily distractible, especially since I do much of my work (school-work and work-work) whilst seated in front of at a 27" Apple distraction machine, with my Apple distraction junior 5S parked conveniently within arm's reach. So I've put myself on a device and media 504 plan. I allow myself a few moments' reward Facebooking after I complete a major task. I also have my phone set up so apps like Insta and FB don't display notifications. This helps to reduce the too-strong impulse to react every time someone comments or clicks "like" on something I've posted. I've found that small adjustments like that really go a long way toward mediating my information consumption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of "As wise stewards of our time." We should consider ourselves as stewards of the information we consume, I love that word in this context, stewards. I enjoyed the awareness that this book brought to all of our attentions. I never really thought of my media consumption as something that I should put thoughtfulness into but clearly we all should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had fun creating our charms to represent the digital awareness tools for students (and adults) to be smart information users, and plan to incorporate them into my lesson design. I wish I felt as comfortable as you in teaching students how to evaluate sources. I need to get designing on those learning activities-- the book gave some good ideas and sites to use.

    ReplyDelete